welcome guest! please log in or register!
welcome back Guest [ Switch account: ]
  • May 4 Sign ups for Sinsomnia's next Board Wide plot have been posted! Sign ups will close May 20th! Get your characters signed up and buckle up for one hell of a ride!
  • Apr 14 The Vampire event is under way! A silent auction with real bidding along with a twist of murderer mystery. This will lead into the Vampire plot for the species that will have prompt throughout the year as well. Those that signed up, we hope you have fun in the event. Thank you!!
  • Apr 10 Our bi-yearly board cleanup is underway. You can find the list of the boards to be deleted as well as a detailed explanation here. Any board not claimed will be deleted on the 14th!
  • Mar 21 Early sign up for the Vampire Silent Auction in April. Want to meet vampires? Become a Pomme? Win some prizes? Sign up and get your character in, all are welcome to this public charity event run by the vampires
  • Mar 11 OTM winners have been posted! And the Leopard event is well under way!
  • Feb 28 OTM Nominations have been posted here and March contests have been posted here! Make sure to get your nominations in by the 7th and enter the contests for prizes!
  • FEB 22 Announcing the Non-Master Incentive Program! Take a look at the details here!

featured

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Pick me up
played by doomkitty30 posts
28 years
81 points
i was born under a bad moon My grief is that I have one grief which outweighs all the joy there is
Snap

Nandi woke with a start and a growl, a deep, guttural noise that was as terrifying as the dream had been. She had been the monster, again and again, the men from her childhood, their hands tearing at the little girl's flesh and clothes, the beast gnawing on the still screaming face of the parents who chose to love her. She could feel herself on the verge of transformation, and it took every ounce of her will to keep from losing it. "I... am... not... a... monster..." She mumbled the words aloud though she could not hear them. It was her mind voice, that spoke them with the true conviction for at that moment her fingers lacked the dexterity to enunciate.

Hours later she was calm enough to leave the tiny studio where she lived, her belongings still in box's and her bed just a mattress thrown on the floor. The fancy apartment she was supposed to have moved into was gone along with the job she had been promised. She had not come back in time, she had not called, or notified them of the enormous loss. What would she say? Sorry, I couldn't start, my family was slaughtered, and I'm now a slobbering monster when the moon is full, or I have any emotions, or stress or fear.

Her somber visage walked through the streets of the city; she had no destination for she also had no purpose. She merely wandered, her working senses searching for others or understanding. Mostly what she found was the pungent stink of unwashed bodies, the definition of animal and human, smog, smoke, and a miracle of cooking food from every culture one could think of. Before her eyes passed an endless blur of stone buildings, glass, colors, and people. Few of them really seemed to see her; they were all so absorbed by their phones, or thoughts of the next thing they had to do. A few looked up, their dead eyes staring from filthy faces, watching her with wisdom that most saw as insanity. She avoided their eyes; they could not help her any more than they could help themselves.

Her wandering came to an end, or perhaps a pause, at a coffee shop. The smell of pungent dark roast and the spices of chai filled her sense. She almost smiled at the memory as she pushed open the door. She could feel the vibration of the voices and electronics through the sound was little more than a dull buzz of white noise. At the counter she signed, some people knew ASL, not many. When they looked at her confused, she pointed to the menu and used gestures and her toneless voice on occasion to indicate what size and how many of the items. She could read their lips well enough as long as they looked at her. Crude, as it was she managed to get an order in if it was right or not, was left to be seen. "Thank u" she said and signed at the same time before stepping aside to wait for her order along with the other dozen people.

played by Gian AvurBone Cave Pack96 posts
30 years
Contractor
70 points
you do not take from the universe, it grants you
what it will
Derrick wasn't really a coffee fanatic, while he liked the taste of it in the morning as a means of jumpstarting the day it was really only at that point of the day that he was really any kind of interested in drinking the often thick, tar-like and always bitter liquid.

It was probably as much about the enhanced sense of taste which was the result of his beast - once a bear - that had encouraged that kind of thing. Derrick had just never managed to make it sweet enough and even now it was a wolf that lingered inside him he hadn't been able to change his opinion on the drink. None of which mattered these days when you could get sweetened treats, pastries and all kinds of other treats while visiting your local coffee shop and so he was one of those currently enjoying the pleasure of loitering around while he waited.

As he was still learning all the names and faces of the people who made up the pack he wasn't really surprised to find that he had managed to turn up and see someone he didn't know who was also a wolf. Derrick assumed it was merely another member he hadn't really met or at least it was the safest and most local assumption to end up making right now.

"Hey... you a fan of this place I guess - oh... are you excited about the move?" Derrick was trying to be friendly, dressed casual - as usual - in denim jeans and a shirt, over which was a fur-lined jacket and sensible boots that he'd often worn to work, Derrick knew that he smelled like he was sitting in a wood chipper but she should be able to scent the wolf as well as that lingering suggestion of power which was all about beign an alpha. For the moment he was trying to be less the dominant and more a polite man attempting to make nice; he wanted to get to know the other members of the pack because then he could help Rylie settle in as he would be able to introdeuce and help in her making friends as well.

28 years
81 points
i was born under a bad moon My grief is that I have one grief which outweighs all the joy there is
She was aware of the man walking over and standing next to her before he arrived having sensed the movement from the corner of her eye. She did not expect him to stand quite so close, however. American's seemed to like crowds, and pressing in close to one another, she was not sure she would ever get used to it, to be honest. She took a polite half step to the side to give some space between them for her own comfort as the new part of her mind fumbled with his scent. He smelled of male musk the way men did ever exertion of physical labor and hygiene products that were stretched their limit. There was something familiar about him, which was odd for she was sure they had never met.

It took her a moment to realize he had spoken to her, he had not been looking at her, and so she had no idea what he had said. His body language, however, indicated he was waiting for a response. Her brows knitted together and she smiled a nervous smile hoping that it would appease him. The she-wolf that now shared her thoughts had decided that upsetting him would or could be dangerous. Her anxiety edged its way up a few notches, and she shifted her weight, she was watching him now, if he spoke again, she would hopefully be able to read his lips. He was a good foot taller than her, maybe more, and solid muscle, long hair somehow stylish and unkempt at the same time with a beard and mustache that likely received the same salon treatment that his hair appeared to have. Why was he so familiar? She was positive she didn't know him-him.

Focusing on him meant that she was not looking at the Baristas and was unaware of the woman, her heavily pierced face under the pink flamingo bangs twisted in irritation was practically yelling over the counter in her direction. Someone was kind enough to touch her arm and point to the counter, though the touch made her jump and a grumble like a growl slip past her lips. TShe hurried to the counter gesturing both sorry and thank you, before taking her drink, and slipped out the door without a look back. She needed to find a place to recenter herself before something horrible happened. Her wolf whined and paced in the back of her mind; it wanted to stay, it wanted to connect with the man or at least to that familiarity. It was not until she was outside, the cold air biting away the crush of people and scents that she realized why. He was what she had been searching for in the chaos of the city.

Now that she had found one though, all the woman could think to do was run away and hide. She found herself, holding her cup almost too tight, the hot spicy liquid threatening to spill over as the two wills that commanded her flesh battled it out in her mind. Stay or go. Would he welcome her or see her as a threat in his territory?

30 years
Contractor
70 points
what it will
He had been expecting any number of things; some good, others bad but all of them involved her actually saying something. Even if he had been nothing more than a little bit of an hello and bye kinda deal. Instead, he got what could only be described as some kind of spine-chilling fright and Derrick didn't understand why.

Derrick wasn't a stranger when it came to needing to deal with people being nervous around him; he was after all a big man and that tended to affect his interactions with others but also at the same time he usually managed to get the other person to at least say something - even if it was a version of a hubba hubba or something equally silly. This was unexpected and therefore not anything that he was capable finding good. While he didn't want to think that he had done something particular deserving of that kind of reaction, it had him looking around and blinking as she suddenly started and nearly leaped towards what had apparently been her drink.

What was going on here? Derrick wouldn't normally push his company upon another person but he was curious and worried given the vibes of anxious that came from the other woman and how she was just generally acting right now.

"Hey... are you sure that you're ok there? You seem a little bit jumpy..." he spoke as gently and patiently as he could manage and hoped that would somehow be enough.

In good conscience he couldn't just up and let her walk out of her and not say or do something; just because she didn't smell like any of the wolves that he knew didn't mean that he could walk away from someone who could be in need and was probably connected to the pack.

28 years
81 points
He followed her this time, and she had a chance to look up at his face, more importantly, his lips, when he spoke. Was she ok? She slowly shook her head no. In the jungle, she had managed to find some peace, to calm the chaos in her divided spirit. Now that she was in the states the tentative grasp she had achieved was starting to lose its strength. The full moon was not so far away and she had never managed the full moon without shifting.

She was sure he didn't know ASL, there were things she wanted to say to him, and things she wanted to say to anyone. Yet no one understood and she couldn't tell her secret to any random person who happened to know ASL that she ran into. Which so far had been exactly none.

"Alon," she spoke aloud, though her voice was toneless and her free hand articulated the word along with the sounds. She couldn't hear it, it was just how they had been taught at the school. Use your mouth with the sign language, not for her benefit but for those who could not understand anything but sound. "Ah, am alon."

30 years
Contractor
70 points
what it will
Since coming to New York the chance to hear all kinds of accents had been incredibly easy and he had gotten used to the variety that people came out with; well he had thought he was able to cope but that wasn't the kind of thing that seemed to be happening right now. It really seemed to be entirely the opposite right now; as he tried to figure out what she was saying and more importantly why that accent seemed so familiar right now.

Derrick looked at her and blinked, trying to figure out just what was going on and why she was so stressed and anxious but also that it made sense to figure it out. The last thing he wanted was to end up with a crazy wolf in what was rather closed in as a kind of space for them and the others who were lingering in the wake of the coffee shop "I... ok? I mean I think so, I guess I understood that - look are you one of the others? I'm relatively new and what with the whole move and everything I haven't had the time to get to meet everyone" he had needed to work, not to mention that he had also been involved with helping Rylie out as well.

All important things, not to mention trying to figure out why his brother was being something of a dick about contacting him at all.

That though he was leaving for the time being as he had to think more about the immediate needs and far more urgent matters in his life. Rylie needed him to be thinking about what she needed in terms of help with the wolf as well as adjusting to the control and understanding that would help make it far less chaotic and instead make into something better than before.

"Look maybe we should see about heading somewhere more private, how about that. I'm Derrick by the way, so what's your name?" he asked, still trying to be friendly.

28 years
81 points
"Uthers?" her brow raised and she shook her head. She had said she was alone, but he had obviously not taken that to hold the weight she had intended. It was the tone; she knew that she spoke like a flat tuneless instrument. Or so she had been told. "Ah, doo nat no ani won."

She nodded some when he suggested going someplace else. It made sense she was getting more frustrated and anxious as they talked. "Nan di." she said signing her name and then gesturing to her self, she was not sure what the word that he used for his name was, or how it should sound since reading lips meant knowing the shape the lips made when creating familiar words. Gesturing to him she made the sign for a tall person with pretty hair and pointed at him, "U."

She gestured again for him to lead the way, she didn't know where he wanted to go, and she was wary of going anywhere too private. But he had a point, they couldn't really talk in the open about what and who they were, and she was not entirely sure that she could be treated to keep her calm through the whole interaction. Talking to people who didn't understand her was frustrating enough that she often chose just to not interact with them, and with the tug of war in her mind, she felt less able to manage herself than usual.

30 years
Contractor
70 points
what it will
That was one seriously different accent and then some; Derrick had to listen very carefully as he tried to piece it together from what she was saying to him which was when he noticed the hand gestures that somehow seemed to be connected to what she was trying to say to him right now - was she deaf? It was an idea that hadn't even occurred to him.

Derrick had never met a deaf person before let alone a lycanthrope one and so, as a result, he ended up blinking for more than a little while as he tried to both figure what she was saying and translate it into something that made any kind of sense in terms of what he knew about the local pack and the wolves who were a part of it "I... so you aren't with Draven and the others. Are you new here?" he had to assume that was the case as any full moon that had come should have created a need for her to join the others. p> Was that even how it worked for wolves? He had more experience with the whole business of being a bear and this was not how it worked for them.

"Well, I think it would be best if you came along with me, I can help. I am Derrick" he explained, hoping that she would understand that he wanted to do nothing more than help out but he was aware that she was displaying all the signs of a very skittish individual and he had the same kind of chance of managing to spook her instead of resolving this into something that could end up being the start of a good thing - well for her; Derrick would at least bring her to the people who should be able to help.

28 years
81 points
"New," She nodded at the question. "New, alon." she nodded again and signed more getting frustrated with the challenge of trying to verbalize words for him. It wasn't his fault; she reminded herself, no one leaned ASL unless they were def or someone they knew was. More people learned dead languages before adding sign to their linguistic repertoire.

She pursed her lips slightly as he invited her with him and then nodded. It was for the best, she gestured for him to lead the way. " I falow, Meny lik us?" She was curious and then realized she had best warn him of how she was able to understand him. She would have no idea what the answer was if he didn't face her. "Ah need to c yor mowth," she told him, letting him know though from experience it was so unnatural to hearing folk that they often forgot almost instantly.

What would they be like, the others, would they welcome her? She knew well how humans saw people who were different or that they viewed as defective. Would they feel the same? She knew so little, a few stories's in the media, or papers, but it was not something she considered relevant to her life. Media played upon the extreme and exploited fear to boost their ratings. Her only encounter with another had been horrific, yet she was not a monster, at least not most of the time.

30 years
Contractor
70 points
what it will
Derrick really needed to listen carefully as she continued to speak in that clearly focused way that he had to assume was the result of her deafness. Which he was sure had some bearing on all of this; not that he could be entirely sure about the source of the strange manner of speech that had been adopted as a result.

It wasn't exactly hard but he did have to pay attention "Us in particular? I mean that isn't a bad idea but I wouldn't say we're that numerous really - do you mind? Are you from a large group?" the more he could learn, the better all round for everyone else as he would be able to fill in the details of what Draven and the rest of the pack needed to know about her as they sorted out how best to integrate and help her. It would certainly be different to find out about the pack dealt with someone who was not able to hear properly. Well, at all? Derrick really didn't know how that would work out but he was certainly going to do his best to help.

"I can take you to where they are and sure; I guess that makes sense but is that how you normally cope? What about when that won't work?" he had to ask the question even if he wasn't sure that he wouldn't end up being singularly rude as a result of sticking his nose into things like that. He didn't really want to come across as being pig ignorant but that didn't mean he still wouldn't put his foot into it.

Even if that was the last thing he was aiming for at the moment "So, where are you from?" he attempted to make it clear that he was looking and speaking as clearly as he could possibly manage given the circumstances but he still felt odd.

28 years
81 points
She shook her head slowly. "Ah am Alon, no groop," she repeated trying to make him understand. Increasingly frustrated by her inability to communicate. "Sooth Africa." she said catching part of the questions. Waving a hand at herself in agitation she looked at him pointedly. "Go, now pleas? Feel... " she didn't have a word for it and so made a snarly face. The interaction was starting to draw attention which didn't help the growing feeling that her skin was to tight.

She took a deep breath and turned walking away from him; she had to get away from all the people for a moment and find her center. If not she was going to lose it. He should understand, she hoped, and follow or not. The coffee that was supposed to have been a treat didn't appeal to her anymore, and she had barely made it a few feet before she decided to drop it in the trashcan that was next to the light. Like most streets in New York this one was crowded and as several people bumped into her, some just passing on as if it had not happened a few other giving her looks like she was at fault she could feel the vibration of a growl in her chest.

"Help me," the words escaped her lips like a whimper. She had not heard or seen the man from the shop approach. She felt it, and the break in the flow of people that were crashing against her, the momentary reprieve let her catch her breath and hold back the agitated she wolf who was pacing in her mind. "Pleas, Ah do nat wont to hurt them."

30 years
Contractor
70 points
what it will
There were a lot of things that the average lycanthrope would eventually experience, some were good and others less so. Derrick had done a lot of them before he had reached his twenties but he also had the advantage of having been born as he was - well barring the species of his beast - and that had rushed a few things ahead of what might be the case for one who was infected. Clearly, this woman was of the latter.

She had none of the confidence or reassured knowledge that she would be able to cope through with everything; most born had by this age managed to reach that level of control that prevented casual discomfort or worry impacting on their inner animal.

Obviously, he was not dealing with the same kind of situation here. The young woman, this Nando was all set to lose control. He lacked some of the more finesse-oriented skills and abilities of other alpha wolves and indeed alphas in general. Derrick had always been far more focused on certain other developments - largely his own - but that had prevented learning other options. He also hadn't really been a wolf long enough to have done much in picking up any of their particular tricks and capabilities.

He'd work on changing that detail but it didn't really assist in matters at the moment. Far from it in fact and Derrick really wanted to up his game so he could provide the assistance and support that Rylie was going to need. As much as he realised that there were helpers in the pack, Derrick didn't know either of them well enough to want to trust them with someone as important to him as Rylie.

Some of which was the result of guilt from infecting her but he'd not really been able to find out another option. Rylie had been dying and she had needed a solution outside of the scope of the human medical limitations.

"...ok, ok...this is going to hurt and I'm sorry about that but I don't have time for your wolf to come out right now" he didn't explain anymore and instead concentrated the power that made him an alpha and basically told her wolf a very certain no. It would make it back up and submit but the animal wouldn't be happen about that command and forceful manner; in fact it would be entirely the opposite of all of that but Derrick didn't have time to be gentle "Now... this is where, over there! That's my truck, get in and strap yourself in; understand? We're going somewhere else" away from humans she might accidentally maim, kill and harm.

She didn't deserve a death sentence because of one moment of lost control. He had been holding onto her arms and speaking to her directly but as he finished he released her with a push in the direction of his vehicle.

28 years
81 points
The will of the man's wolf knocked the wind out of her, and the feisty out of her She-wolf. The creature who shared her mind slunk off to the far corner to brood. Still agitated but quite, for the first time in months, the wolf was quite. When her breath returned, she was already being pushed towards a truck. She was a little shaky in her steps but managed to get to the truck and inside. She felt some relief that she had interpreted his body language correctly and that this was what he wanted, in the chaos of his command she had missed most of the lip movement.

Dragging the belt over her, she slipped the latch into the clasp feeling the faint click of it catching in her hands. Her newfound kin was getting in as well, still talking she thought but she couldn't catch on to what exactly he was saying. Why couldn't her new - whatever this was- have fixed her hearing? She stopped herself and let out a deep sigh. That was not the way she should think, she couldn't hear, but she was not crippled. Just different, she usually managed just fine. The situation was the problem, not her lack of hearing.

She leaned her head on the glass of the window and closed her eyes, gently rubbing between her temples as she felt the truck shudder and then come to life. "It is so quiet, in her." she said though she could not see his response. She simply wanted to share with someone the realization of how lout her She-wolf typically was, with her fussing and grumbling. Maybe it was not normal? Was it different for those who had others to learn from, to help them transition from typical human too, this?

30 years
Contractor
70 points
what it will
He was trying to remember the bits and pieces he had been picking up when it came to the newly infected. Obviously, it had been important for him to learn after and even before infecting Rylie - not that either of them talked about that aspect of things. Well, Derrick had thought it had been obvious, now he really wished that some google search or even handbook existed that could provide him information that might help.

Derrick was glad that it had worked. If her wolf had attempted dominance - admittedly unlikely - he would have needed to do something more and out on the street that wouldn't necessarily have been a good thing. Not for either of them.

Even though he was in control, experienced and also born into this world that didn't mean that Derrick couldn't be arrested, shot or even killed as the result of some of the steps that he might need to take in order to bring down her wolf and get the situation in hand. Derrick really wished that humans understood more but he also accepted that in all fairness, the idea of giant wolves running rabid in the city was going to be an uncomfortable one.

"Quiet? You mean ....oh shite" he realized about halfway through that she couldn't see him and that apparently meant not being able to hear or at least understand what he was saying. That was going to make teaching her anything interesting but also made Derrick curious about whether she would be able to hear as a wolf or if it was only the human who had that lack. It was a whole new kind ballgame for him and one that he had no idea of the rules about or if there were in fact rules.

Taking the truck out into traffic he headed out for the roads that would take them to the wolf house; no real point in much else. Still, he reached over and squeezed her available hand, trying to comfort her that way.

28 years
81 points
The city zipped by at times and others crawled. Traffic in New York was bipolar at the best times, and the rest it was constipated. With the she-wolf sulking in the corner of her mind, Nandi realized just how loud the wolf had been, how anxious. The pacing and whining had been a constant backdrop in her thoughts. It had been part of what drove her back; she wolfs longing for others of its kind. The fear of what she had become and of doing to others what had been done to her had a heavy hand in her choice too, though she had not realized how much harder it would be to maintain her control.

She focused on the landmarks as her new friend; she hoped friend, took them out of the city onto the smaller streets and then onto the highway. She was not that familiar with the city and not at all with anything beyond. Was it such a good idea to go with someone she didn't know, to someplace unfamiliar? She worried her lip lightly and felt her wolf starting to creep back into her forethought, though she didn't feel the tension that accompanied a loss of her control and a wild shift.

Calmer now she had the clarity to realize she could have used her smartphone to communicate with him more easily. Why was it in the moment one always forgot the little things that would save a headache? She thought to herself. Her wolf grumbled in response and slunk about, still irritated with the man to her left. She didn't like having another tell her what to do or stop her from acting.

30 years
Contractor
70 points
what it will
If there was one thing this ride was going to involve, it was quiet. Derrick wasn't actually adverse to that option. Not even a little bit, he needed some time to try and figure out what he was going to say as much as some ideas about how he could help the young woman who had arrived in his life. This was now the second time he was bringing a new wolf to the pack; one he had most definitely not infected, but it would seem suggestive of him having a particular kind of skill when it came to locating lost wolves.

Even though no one else knew that he had infected Rylie he still felt guilty and a little anxious from time to time. Rylie wouldn't share or tell anyone because it would create all kinds of issues and also the possibility that he would end up being punished.

"...hey; ummm who is that? Look I've got a deaf wolf coming in. Yeah, as in not able to hear" his truck might not be the latest off the production line but it had its own parrot that let him take via his phone and right now managing to relay a message ahead of them towards the pack home only made sense. The last thing he wanted to see was a whole bunch of them spilling out and getting Nandi all riled up.

After all, she'd most likely shift and then they'd need to wait until that had passed. Derrick was fairly sure that some questions were on the horizon which were a touch more urgent than being able to sit around for eight hours with a panicked, confused and vaguely pissed off wolf. There was also the addition of a child - well baby - in the house and as uninvolved as he was in all of that, no one wanted to picture the kind of the bloody mess of a rogue wolf running through the house, so warning and preparation would be clearly needed.

Ringing off after he finished relaying everything to the person on the other end of the line, he took the turning that would bring them up to the pack house. Fairly imposing in scale if nothing else but hopefully, it would at least look vaguely comforting.

"This is us..." words he wasn't sure she'd hear or understand but given they'd stopped it should be obvious the large building was their destination.

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll